Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Tropical Salsa and Baked Cinnamon Chips


I know it's a strange time of year to be posting this...but this salsa is so good I couldn't wait to share (plus my friend Julene asked me to). I found this recipe on epicurious.com, where I went to look for recipes to use up the two dozen kiwis I bought on a whim at Costco. This recipe used two of them plus I had to go out and buy a pineapple and a mango BUT, I will go to great lengths if I think I am onto a GREAT recipe. Thank goodness my instincts were right this time! Here's a GREAT recipe for GREAT salsa! I'm sure I will make this again, and again, and again (after all, I do have enough kiwis to make twelve batches...) The original recipe said to serve with "Cinnamon Chips", I have posted the recipe for those also (DELISH). Tonight I served the salsa to three nineteen year olds with "Spicy-Sweet Chili" Doritos (they added quite a kick--the chips did, not the kids!) All three kids did give the salsa a "thumbs up", as did 25 year old in the room. The original recipe (which I adapted) also mentioned spooning this over grilled chicken or fish...mmm, maybe later, right now, I just want to savor "as is". Later this week...Kiwi-Coconut-Lime muffins...to use up a few more of the Kiwi in the kitchen

Tropical Salsa

1 cup chopped peeled fresh pineapple (in a pinch, could sub orange for pineapple)
1 cup chopped peeled fresh mango
1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
2/3 cup chopped peeled fresh kiwi fruit (about 2)
1/3 cup finely chopped red onion
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
juice of ½ fresh lime

Combine all ingredients in medium bowl. Season with salt, to taste. (Can be made 3 hours ahead--but also tastes and looks fine the next day.)

Baked Cinnamon Chips

1/4 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
4 flour tortillas
3 tbsp. butter, melted

In a small bowl combine sugar and cinnamon. Brush tortillas with melted butter. Then sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of sugar mixture. Cut each tortilla in 8 triangles. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place tortillas sugar side up on ungreased baking sheet. Bake 10 minutes or until crisp.

Thanks for being a fan,
Polly




No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?