Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Crockpot Bean Dip for a Crowd

Superbowl Sunday is just on the horizon. For years, I couldn't care less. But somehow or other, I managed to raise a football crazy girl who actually anticipates and then watches football games, playoffs and bowls. So through her I am slowly warming up to the excitement of Superbowl Sunday. Not for the game. Not for the commercials, either. For the snacks!. Just like there are American food traditions around Thanksgiving, Easter, Christmas, St. Patrick's Day and Valentine's Day, there are also special Game Day foods. Being slow to this football thing, I don't have a huge repertoire of Superbowl recipes yet, but I'll share what I do have. Here's my "go to" recipe for all big parties, my Crockpot Bean Dip. I put the crockpot right on the coffee table, with a ladle and some bowls and chips right next to it.

You can control the flavor and spiciness of this dip by your choice of beans, salsa and cheese. This recipe makes enough for two football teams. If there are leftovers, they freeze and microwave well. I've also combined leftover bean dip with leftover meat and rice, wrapped it in a tortilla and called it a burrito.

Crockpot Bean Dip for a Crowd
2 (16oz.) cans refried beans
8 oz. cream cheese, cubed and then softened in the microwave
2 cups jarred salsa (24 oz. jar)
2 T. chili powder
1/2 t. cumin
4 cups grated cheese (I often use the packaged Mexican Blend)
16 oz sour cream

Mix beans, cream cheese, salsa, chili powder and cumin together in a saucepan. Heat over medium high heat until cream cheese is melted. Gradually stir in grated cheese, stir until melted. Remove pan from heat and stir in sour cream. Pour entire mixture into a crockpot and cook, covered, on high for an hour, then reduce heat to warm to serve. My kids like this on Tostitos Scoops, because you can get a lot of bean dip on your chip.

Thank you for being a fan,
Polly



No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?